It’s been one of those weeks. One of those weeks where I
hardly touched my computer (actually, longer than that). One of those weeks
where I nearly got more sleep during the day than at night. One of those weeks
where I got nothing accomplished, except for teaching a special music to some
of the students and singing it with them at their graduation. That of itself
was a miracle, since I had a reprieve from my fever and severe sinusitis and
other symptoms just long enough to get that accomplished. (Then I was back to a
baking fever and hilariously strange delirium that night.)
| Chit Soe Ngae |
But what I really want to write about is Chit Soe Ngae. This
14-year-old Karen boy is from a Buddhist family in Burma, the fifth out of
seven children, who recently lost both of his parents. I first met him on
Christmas day when I ate breakfast with the students, and although we didn’t
talk much (he only knew a little English), it was soon evident that this boy is
special. Although he’s somewhat quiet, since that day he never passes up an
opportunity to practice his English on me and nearly always asks me “are you
happy?” I was very happy when last week I saw him get baptized along with 16
other students in the Moei River (a beautiful day to be sure). He’d been
attending the Karen/English Bible studies regularly, and readily made the
decision to follow through with the next step. His face often has a solemn
expression on it (most Karen people do not smile for photos), but he truly
seems happy, and every time he asks me if I am happy, I return the question to
him and he often says, “yes I am *very* happy!”
| :) |
After the graduation was over, many of the students returned
home for the break, but quite a few of the students stayed behind—some of them
have no stable home to go back to, like Chit Soe Ngae. After I noticed that
some of the other students were sad, I thought that he would also be sad that
his friends were leaving and he had to stay at the school during the break, but
he was still as happy as always!
The other night I had a chance to sit next to him during
chapel service. After the message was done, there was a impromptu special music
period put on by the students. While one of the students started singing, Chit
Soe Ngae reached over to my Karen Bible and flipped the pages to a verse, then
pointed it out to me. I looked at it and then looked it up in my English Bible,
and thought, “huh, maybe he’s showing me the verse for the song that is being
sung in Karen right now.” But then he started showing me other verses—flipping to
them in his Bible first to show me so that I could look them up in my Karen
Bible. He pointed out verses like Psalm 46:1; Matthew 26:41; Psalm 51:1-2; and
by the time he showed me Psalm 27:10 (“When my father and my
mother forsake me, then the Lord will take
me up.”), I realized what he was doing. He was showing me some verses
that were special to him—the ones that give him strength for the challenges
that his life faces, and help him to be happy in every circumstance!
| Unlikely hiking buddies...these students will be in grades 4, 3, and 9 respectively in the upcoming year (American grades would be grades 6, 5, and 11) |
May I always be as faithful in trusting God’s promises in
the small (and big) things that I face from day to day.
No comments:
Post a Comment