Sunday, September 21, 2014

When God Said Yes... (by Jonalyn)

“Love is very patient and kind, never jealous or envious, never boastful or proud, never haughty or selfish or rude. Love does not demand its own way. It is not irritable or touchy. It does not hold grudges or will hardly even notice when others do it wrong. It is never glad about injustice, but rejoices whenever truth wins out. If you love someone you will be loyal to him no matter what the cost. You will always believe in him, always expect the best of him, and always stand your ground in defending him.”  1 Corinthians 13: 4-7 (The Living Bible)
************************************************************

When God Said Yes…
by Jonalyn Layos

January 29, 2014 was when I arrived at Sunshine Orchard—a visit that turned out to be a long-term commitment to stay and continue working for Him in this foreign land. Staying here was a challenge for me—a new place, new people, and all strangers…not to mention less than a hundred dollars in my pocket. I wasn’t worried with my finances, instead I was excited for another journey and miracles of God’s providence, because in the previous 6 months since I had quit my job and decided to be a missionary, God had so graciously provided for my needs and wants. Though I might not have that much in my pocket, God somehow never emptied it. (I’ll be sharing more of God’s graciousness in my life in another blog.)

For the first few weeks, I tried to be conversant with the missionaries and students. Erick however was one of the challenging ones, he is somewhat introvert and often too shy to start a conversation with new people. We did talk a little bit or you can say I didn't talk to him
that much. I seldom saw him since he was always busy. During the second month, when the missionary family in charge of the medical stuff left for America for a month, Erick and I started working together in treating patients—students and villagers. (Medical missionary work is what I’ve always wanted to do.)

I wasn’t interested as to a deeper relationship with him at first, but as we share stories and he talked about his childhood and family, I was amazed. I heard confirmations from other missionaries about his family and background, and there's nothing I can say. I started learning more about him and was surprised we have so much common interests, beliefs and principles that we want to follow! We went hiking together with friends too. When the other missionary family came back, we didn't have as much time together like we did the previous month, but me, Lauren and Erick would often eat meals together. It was fun.

Lauren is a blessing. :) Without her, it would not have been possible for me and Erick to get to know each other more—three spells balance. The three of us would sometimes go on a trip, camping, hiking and even sing for AY.

It was during our visa-run trip to Laos that I prayed to God—if He would send me a partner in my work for Him, will He please send me someone like Erick? Why not Erick? He has all the qualities I prayed for, more than what I asked. Few weeks after that, my feelings grew...it wasn't just mere admiration. But I stuck to the principle that love is not based on feelings. I needed to evaluate myself, is it true love? Maybe I’m just infatuated.

Is being with him drawing me close to Jesus? Does he love God more than me? Will my work to God be more effective if I partner with him? Am I happy with him around?

Those are few of the questions I considered... He met all those standards. My prayer is God's will...Even if my love for Erick grew each day, I never open any doors. I prayed that God will do that for me, make things clear before my face.

I was very careful not show intentions or feelings to him. He is a very nice person...So when he was doing things for my sake, I thought he was just being nice to me, I didn't have a clue (or maybe I refuse to believe since I hate jumping to conclusions) that he too had started praying for me.

Ah! Love, such a beautiful feeling!

Until that beautiful morning, a day before my birthday that he sent his first ever love letter… I couldn’t believe it! I was astounded!

12 June 2014
5:05pm


What to do?
How do I react? I can't help smiling...

Brace yourself Jonalyn.
I can't talk to him about it right away… I just don't know what to say! I hope he won't ask if I read his letter already!


I didn't know what to do! I had read the letter at 2:47 pm and I’ll see him at 5:45 during supper! I was tensed. Nevertheless, I saw him... I didn't let him know that I read his email... I just didn’t have the courage to! Then comes 7 pm when we had to clean the children's wounds that he confirmed my email address and told me he sent a letter that day. Imagine my reaction! I was speechless! I ended up thanking him, and later on informed him that I will write back as soon as I can.

The following day, he surprised me with frosted mango cake he made that night for my 25th birthday! That was sumptuous! (Really appreciate it especially now that I know how he made it without an oven.)

After three days, I wrote him back. I didn't deny my feelings, but then told him we won't start anything unless I talk to my parents about it. (He hadn’t been able to contact my parents in the Philippines yet.) Let me explain, ever since I joined my missionary friends, I had more time to read and listen to many counsels for marriage and dating, I vowed not to do dating; most of the missionaries I’ve meet didn’t do that either and I saw how beautiful their marriage turned out. I'm not surprised that Erick too holds that principle, he grew up with Christian beliefs—I was too, just more lenient.

Going back, he wrote a letter addressed to my father. A few days later we received a positive reply from my Dad and even got a chance to chat. He said if it's God's will for us to be together then he doesn't have anything against it, and that we are capable to decide for ourselves. He also invited Erick to visit them sometime in the Philippines. So on that day, we were “official on Facebook” for a start! :)


We started with reading books together, Adventist Home and The Desire of Ages, a chapter or two each day. For Erick it’s a review, but for me, reading EGW books is a fairly new thing. I was baptized at SDA Kota Kinabalu (Malaysia) on December 14, 2013, although I had my first Sabbath on September 21, 2013. Since then, I’ve come to know my God more and more. It’s been a privilege that God has drawn me to the church.

A hike to remember :)

After five months in Thailand, I needed to go out of the country for another of several visa runs; we decided to go to Laos since it was the best place to get a double-entry visa. It was amazing that we were able to get my visa the same day we applied, in most places it takes longer. We had a day to spare so we decided to go for a hike at Mukdahan National Park (Thailand). The place where we hiked hosts a complex of rocks in unusual eroded formations thought to resemble mushrooms, temples, swans etc. It was an amazing place, a home for waterfalls, caves with ancient paintings (unfortunately we didn’t go to the caves) and beautiful canopy. After more than an hour, we ended up in a rock cliff. It’s a beautiful viewpoint that affords distant views of Mukdahan city, the Mekong River and neighboring Laos. Perfect place to sit and enjoy the view, on the left side is the canopy and on the right is a scenic though mainly seasonal waterfall, at our back is the city, river and Laos.

After few minutes of picture taking we just sat there with the scenery. Then as he held my hands… he said he is sure I’m the one he wants to be with and that we will be a good team in working for God…and then, asked me if I would marry him. <3

I was speechless. Although I’d seen this coming, I didn’t expect it this soon! He caught me by surprise! We’ll, it didn’t take that long for me to answer him…I was so happy and I just can’t help smiling. I said yes, and we prayed together. Perfect place and perfect time! God had ordained it. He held back the rain for us—it was amazing because the previous day, it had rained so hard that we were flooded in Laos which is very close by Mukdahan where we hiked.

Love is such a beautiful thing! Love is awesome because God is love. I praise Him for granting my heart’s desire, to be a missionary—it’s an honor to be used in furthering His work—and the latest… for bringing me and Erick together. It’s worth the wait when I let God lead the way and write my love story. God‘s timing is always perfect, never early, never late.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice story. I am looking forward to meeting you in person. Your soon to be Uncle Derral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May your joy in the Lord and in each other continue to grow, and shine to the glory of God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PTL! Thank you for sharing your story and pictures. It is always so encouraging to see two young people letting God lead them in their lives. We wish you could be here with us and Erick. We are looking forward to seeing you, hopefully, in a few months. We will continue to pray for you both as you journey together. Lots of love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete