Friday, November 2, 2012

First Day



(Written mostly during the flight to Thailand on Oct 31--Nov1)

Attempt to capture the 'glory' on camera
There I was, half-awake, listening to Mendelsohn’s “Reformation” symphony on Korean Airlines’ Sky Program—a fitting choice since October 31 was Reformation Day.  As I cruised over Alaska in a Boeing 777 (since you have to cross part of Alaska to take the shortest route to Korea and Thailand due to the earth’s curvature), I thought about the long journey ahead of me and also the long journey behind me. The clouds below and the none-too-straight line showing the airplane’s flight path on the screen (due to the pilot’s course corrections behind the changing winds) seemed to reflect my thoughts during the long hours I spent planted in my window seat. Before I fell asleep though, I spotted a circle double rainbow (technically a "glory") in the clouds below—a wonderful reminder of God’s loving care.

To give a bit of background for any of those that haven’t been aware, last summer things started to develop toward my current position after I attended Faith Camp 2011. I decided to put aside my plans to continue my education beyond the 2-year RN degree, and instead of getting back into furthering my flight training, I applied through GMI to spend some time volunteering in Thailand. After I received an invitation from Gayle with Jesus for Asia (a partner ministry of GMI), it became even clearer that God wanted me to head to the “front lines” before spending even more of my young adult years in school. It’s been a very long and challenging road to come to this day, but I have seen God work in many different ways and am thankful for His leading and his longsuffering with my weaknesses.

Incheon/Seoul, South Korea
Am I excited?  Am I excited that I have a wonderful mission opportunity where I can be a blessing to others? Am I excited to finally be volunteering overseas for the first time ever, helping the brutally oppressed Karen people? Am I excited to live in a primitive jungle hut and take baths in cold mountain water? Yes, I’m excited, or at least as much as I can be after getting only 3 hours of “sleep’ in the last 48 hours! (Though I can’t complain since Korean Airlines makes the flights as comfortable as possible!)

I also can’t ignore the overwhelming change of my life situation and the many questions in my mind about how exactly everything is going to work out—this whole living one day at a time can be a challenge for my personality! What does God have in store for the coming days and months? It’s easy to feel unworthy, unqualified for the calling that He places upon you. But I don’t have to worry about what tomorrow will bring. “…Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.” Matthew 6:33, 34

Motorbikes everywhere! And little kids with no helmets!  
Update: Gayle and Breck (a SM working with her) picked me up at the airport late last night and we slept at a motel in Chiang Mai. (I actually was able to sleep for 6-7 hours finally!) After chatting over a lovely breakfast of mango, banana, avocado and bread and muffins, all too soon we had to say goodbye and they dropped me off with some friends nearby in Chiang Mai, where I will be staying temporarily until I can meet up with them again at Sunshine Orchard in a couple of weeks. Today I don't feel jet lagged or extreme culture shock—well, of course driving (riding this time) in Chiang Mai was rather interesting to say the least…not just the traffic, but I can't wait to learn to drive a vehicle with a driver's seat on the right with a stickshift on the left and the turn signals and windshield wipers reversed! And yes, there’s many other things that are different about life in Thailand! (Trying to shop with a foreign language everywhere, no real speed limits or evident traffic laws, going barefoot all the time, unique showers/bathrooms, traditional hard mattresses--to name just a few.)  And I’m not in the jungle yet!
Breck and I with Gayle and the truck (far from its jungle home, while at the Knecht's home near Chiang Mai)

8 comments:

  1. Totally awesome! Can't wait to hear more of your adventures! How long will you be there? God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Not sure, probably however long God calls me to stay here!

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited for you Erick, and will be keeping you in prayer. That double rainbow is so beautiful!! What an incredible way to start your new adventure.

    (BTW is that Breck Lang? I think he went to SAU. I was the nurse at his dads summer camp last year. such a small world...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you made it Erick!!! I so wish I could join you over there... Praying for you every day! May God bless your efforts there! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best to you! Looking forward to more reflections. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome here! It'll be exciting to see how God works in you through your experience... Something like this can't help but change you--I know I'm never going to be the same, and I'm only two months into my stay! God bless you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Schane, and Cheyenne, and Heidi. Will try to update when I have internet in the future!

    ReplyDelete