| Equip Int'l MMI class photo |
![]() |
| Gayle helping a villager in Thailand |
In June, I realized that the summer was going to start to
fly by quickly with all the things that I needed to plan and get done before I
left for Thailand. I had been in touch with Gayle (the nurse who is based in
BYT village [Beeyohtah] doing clinic mission work in various villages in the
mountains of NW Thailand) and had told her I’d plan to come in October, due to
my job and other plans. At the same time some other turmoil was going on, and
some things were up in the air but I wasn’t able to get into it further,
especially since I was wiped out working graveyard shifts at my LTC nursing job
nearly every night for much of the rest of June. I had locked-in the Wilderness
First Responder class schedule that I planned to do in August, and let my job
know that I’d probably be resigning soon after that by October. I really didn’t
want to get an airplane ticket yet, since I didn’t know when I’d actually be
ready to go. (Needed to leave enough time to get my wisdom teeth/oral surgery
done in September, quit my job at Riverview then, move from Spokane to store stuff
at my parent’s garage, sell some stuff, and hopefully learn some Thai and have
my biennial flight review done by then, etc, etc.)
But I started looking at tickets online, with Korean Airlines,
in order to get a round trip ticket and freely extend the return date to come
back within up to 12 months (as another missionary had suggested). After
playing around with the dates, it appeared October 16 to Chiang Mai looked like
the best option. Somewhere I saw that the flight had “7 tickets left at this
price,” so I prayed about it for awhile ($1258 is a lot of money, when you
haven’t done a single bit of fundraising), and later came back and saw that it
had “1 ticket left at this price”, and I bought it! (I think God made me see
that message to make me step out in faith and buy the ticket right away, because
the prices haven’t changed since then!)
Meanwhile I wondered, don’t I need to be doing some
fundraising? The money I’m starting to save from working lately will vanish
quickly with various travel expenses and paying for the classes I’m taking, a
biennial flight review, wisdom teeth (even done at a sliding-scale-fee clinic),
and future ongoing expenses while contributing in Thailand. And it’s not like I
own anything of much value to sell. (My car’s KBB value is probably <$800 at
this point!) And how much money will I really need? Looking at the typical AFM
missionary monthly budget goals, the numbers are higher than what I’ve ever
dreamed of spending anywhere. A couple of people asked me if I was going with
AFM and how much fundraising I’d done so far, and I had to answer, “Well, I
haven’t really been able to do any so far--I’m keeping busy moving forward and
praying that God will open doors as needed!”
| One of my "long-lost" relatives! |
So after I bought the ticket, the next day I went with my
parents to our Lamberton family reunion. I hadn’t been to that reunion since I
was much younger, but this summer it actually worked out in my schedule, and I
was excited because a few of my Reeve cousins were going to be there this time.
It was a blast seeing so many people I hadn’t seen in 8-15 years, and some
family I had never even met (we have a huge family)! But two providential
things happened that I totally wasn’t expecting. One was that my great-uncle
Lyn nominated me to receive the Sabbath offering (the family votes on a new location
for their offering every year)…which meant that I had to stand up impromptu and
share a little brief overview about what my plans are--to a lot of people who didn't even know me! The other thing was that
I got to meet and talk to one of my great-aunts who happens to be Thai (working on U.S.
citizenship) and lives part of the time in Chiang Mai! I had mostly forgotten about
my extended relatives from Thailand, since I hadn’t seen her or my (late)
great-uncle Clark since I was 5 years old! (Clark Lamberton went to the SDA
hospital at Bangkok as a missionary dentist in the 1950s, and later went to
Chiang Mai and operated his own locally-famous dental practice for many years
before he passed away.) So now I’ll probably get to see my great-aunt Pongsri sometime if she is there
when I fly into Chiang Mai!
Please keep me in prayer as I continue to prepare for this
overwhelming life change. I’ve never prepared for an international trip before,
and this one is going to last up to a year (potentially, as an initial trip)! But it’s not time to pack yet…right
now, in between working some night/evening/day shifts I’m also trying to do some
hiking and bouldering/climbing in the park near my landlord’s house, etc,,
since I need to get into shape for the extremely intense WFR class that I’m
taking in CA next month! And, if anyone has some recommendations for some basic
course material to learn some basic Thai, I’m open to suggestions! (I’ll
probably have to start learning the Karen language later, once I arrive in the
village.)

Perhaps not coincidentally, I'm reading this only two days after my daughter and her family landed in Bangkok. They will soon be in Chiang Mai, and will be working not far from there.
ReplyDeleteYeah! I've been seeing their posts on FB and commented once. I'm going to be in the mountains, I think it's like a 9+ hour drive from Chiang Mai because of the bad roads.
DeleteSo did they give you the Sabbath offering?
ReplyDeleteYeah, I didn't complete that thought did I? They voted for it, and I'm just waiting for the money to be forwarded from the tax-deductible mission that my dad's cousin runs.
DeleteHi Erick,
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog after you added me on Google+ - what a surprise that we're both going to Thailand! lol I'm still not sure when I'll be leaving (still waiting on my visa), but it looks like it may be around the same time that you are. I'll be going with AFM, but at one point when I wasn't sure if AFM would work out, I had actually applied to work with Gayle, as well! Interesting coincidence. Anyways, I'll be working for a couple months in Bangkok, then moving up to Khon Kaen (Northeast Thailand) for the rest of the year. It's crazy how many of my friends and acquaintances are in (or have been in) Thailand these days! Hope your preparations are going well. I look forward to reading of your adventures while you're there. (I hope you remember to update your blog!) :)
~Rachel~
Thanks for commenting Rachel! Will try to update when something comes to me or have photos, etc. Yeah I thought you were with AFM, but then yesterday your name popped up in JFA correspondence so I was curious if someone else was going to be working with Gayle's project! Anyway, hope you and many others are blessed!
Delete